Benefits of the Program
Eligible employers are able to build a work force that meets its' specific skill needs. Apprenticeships are a tried and true method of recruiting and retaining employees. With this program, employers receive help in recruiting competent students, who though instructions and mentorship, will develop into highly skilled workers, reducing turnover and decreasing costs!
By empowering your future workforce now, you're investing in your company, your community and your future!
FACT: FOR EVERY DOLLAR SPENT ON APPRENTICESHIPS, US EMPLOYERS GET $1.75 BACK IN INCREASED PRODUCTIVITY
- Get approval as an Eligible Employer
- Schedule interviews and hire from students applications provided by the FCPS facilitator during window prior to each school semester (Fall, Spring, Summer)
- Work with the student's FCPS Work based Learning Coordinator (WBL) to complete agreement/training plan
- Develop a training plan for the apprentice
- Provide a mentor
- Commit to employing and training the youth apprentice for at least 450-hours within a specified period (not to exceed 14 months)
- Pay the youth apprentice no less than minimum wage for all work performed during the program
- Authorize the mentor to complete quarterly progress reviews for WBL
- Instruct the youth apprentice in the required competencies provided for this program
- Comply with applicable child labor and employment of minors laws with regard to number of hours worked, prohibited occupations and equipment, and time of day employment for youth apprentices
- Provide safety instruction in work practices
- Provide safe equipment and facilities in compliance with OSHA requirements